Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Reading Notes: Ramayana Public Domain , Part D

1. The Bridge:
* God of ocean - AKA Varun & god of law of underwater world
* Vanar - group of people living in forest
* Nala - Son of Vishwakarma
* Vishwakarma - maker of all-doer
Rama's bride - AKA Adam's bridge
Linga - abstract of Shiva / used to worship in temples
Rameshwaram - town / municipality
Lanka - fortress

Upon reading the Ramayana version of The Bridge, I could not help but wonder why the sacrifice was unsuccessful? How would the story have unfolded if it was indeed successful? "Into the bosom of the deep" sounded so proper to me and I really like how they worded this sentence and the way the author described certain aspects came forth as very interesting to me. If I have to re-write the story, I might be able to describe the king of the ocean with a more descriptive style. As I have mentioned before, I learn and read better with pictures and describing characters. I can also describe how the bridge will be built. Ravana seems to be a very short -tempered character.

2. Battle of Rama And Ravana:
* It was kind of intense when I read this. Who was going to win the fight? Which power proved to be superior and stronger? Could they have used other powers for this battle?
* Auspicious? Never heard of this word. I will have to look it up
* Heads that keep coming back sounds scary. It reminds me of a horror movie


3. Sita and Rama:
* It made me sad when Sita threw herself in the fire in order to prove her love and or purity to her lover.  Why did she have to do this? Did he not trust her? If he has so many powers, could he not use some kind of power to read her mind and feelings? I am glad, however, that it turned out to be a love story and that they ended up together again.

(Rama and Ravana fighting. Source: Wikipedia Commons)










No comments:

Post a Comment