Sunday, January 29, 2017

Wikipedia Trails: From Bhindi to Kiwi People

I love to eat and try exotic foods from different cultures, so I decided to do a Wikipedia trail on How Indians Cam to Eat Bhindi.

1. Bhindi 
Starting off, I had to find out what Bhindi is. after searching it, the word OKRA popped up and this is a word with which I am very familiar with. I love to eat okra and I grew some in my garden last year. I made the best okra stew ever from those! Interesting enough, it is also called ladies fingers and is from a plant called the mallow family.

2. Allopolyploidy
What an odd name it is. Sounds like an insect or something. Allopolyploid means chromosomes that is from different species. The article was very scientific and did not give much information, therefore I would have to find more information and sources for research purposes.

3.  Kiwifruit
What a turn my wikipedia trail has taken! I went from Okra to a totally different crop. This berry is also known as a Chinese  gooseberry, which I have never heard of before. in the Hindi (Indian) language it is called "Lalit". it became known as kiwifruit in 1962 when New Zealand started exporting it. Kiwi can refer to a bird or to people.

4. Kiwi people
This is used when referencing people who are from New Zealand. It just blows my mind to think that there are so many terms for people, groups, nature, etc and never will we be able to comprehend it all, since there are so many. The military were the first group of people to be called this term and it was later used to nickname those who fought in the second world war. Soldiers (during the 1900s) were also referred to then as fern-leaves.


I enjoyed this week's trail post and learned something new!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you gave this Wikipedia Trails thing a try, Vera: I think they are os much fun. And when I shared that bhindi article in the class Twitter I thought, well, maybe this is kind of a weird thing to include in the class Twitter, so of course it made me very happy when it turned out to be the item that got your attention and prompted your post. I love anything with okra, so that's why I shared it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is your favorite okra dish? Have you tried making your okra chips? :)

    ReplyDelete