Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Week 6 Storytelling: Vyasa And The Bean Stalk



Vyasa And The Bean Stalk

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away lived a boy known as Vyasa. He was only thirteen years of age and lived with his parents in a small house in Hastinapura and grew up very underprivileged. Vyasa was a great author and wrote all kinds of stories, but was particularly known for the Mahabharata, which was a very important epic among the Indian community.

A horrible winter storm once hit the town of Hastinapura (where Vyasa resided with his parents) and his mother got so sick from the flu, due to all the germs being blown around. The only remedy that could cure her was known as Kadha, which required herbs, spices, cloves and ginger; so one morning she said to her son, “Vyasa, I am extremely sick and feeble, so you must please take money from the box that is stashed under the stove and go to the spice market for me and get all the ingredients necessary to make Kadha.” Vyasa did not like to go to the market, because he was too busy working on his next novel, but since his mother was so sick, he knew he had to hurry and not waste any time. His mother told him that he could ask one of the five Pandava brothers to help him finish his novel, but he did not think that they were worthy of such an important task. In fact, he trusted no one and could not think of a single person to be trusted with this important, delicate undertaking. This novel was way too important to him, as it contained everything there was to know about things on heaven and earth. 

As Vyasa was on his way to the market, he met Brahma -the god who created knowledge and the universe -who had a few beautiful, shiny beans in his hands. Vyasa stopped to look at them, and the Brahmin told him that they were of great value, and tried persuading him to buy them. At first, the boy was very hesitant and explained to Brahma why he could not buy the beans. “You see, Brahma, my mother is extremely ill from the flu and I need to get to the spice market to buy her the ingredients to make Kadha so that she can get better and take care of me and my father. I am so sorry, but I just cannot buy your beans.” 

Brahma told Vyasa that he knew about the novel that he was writing and said, “I know where you can find the perfect scribe, worthy of knowing and explaining everything there is about things on heaven and earth.” Vyasa’s eyes lit up from happiness and he demanded to know where such a person was. “Her name is Ganesha – remover of obstacles. The only way to get to her is by planting these beans and waiting two days for it to grow.” Vyasa was so desperate and immediately exchanged the beans for the money

When he brought them home to his mother, instead of the Kadha ingredients, she was very annoyed, reprimanding her son for his recklessness. He was very sorry and his mother took the beans and tossed them out of their bedroom window and sent Vyasa to bed. Three days later, he found that the beans had grown, till the bean stalks reached over the top of the mountains. “I wonder if Ganesha truly is up there,” said the boy to himself. “There is only one way to find out!” And so Vyasa grabbed his pen, writing pad and a gift for Ganesha and started climbing the bean stalk.

He climbed for a long time and became tired real quick. So after resting for a moment he went on, and at last reached the top of the bean stalk and found himself staring at an unfamiliar place. While Vyasa was observing the castle, a very strange-looking woman came out and advanced towards him. Vyasa took off his hat to the old lady, and she said, pointing to the castle, “Welcome to the Chedi kingdom. Ganesha is expecting you. Follow me and I will take you to her.” Vyasa was surprised and wondered how on earth this lady knew that he wanted to converse with Ganesha. With a confused, yet happy face, he followed the lady into the big castle. They climbed up the stairs to a dark, quiet room, where Ganesha was sitting on a royal carpet in the middle of the floor. 

“Ganesha, deva of wisdom, I heard that you are invoked as patron of letters and learning during writing sessions and I humbly come to you, in dire need of your assistance,” said Vyasa with a soft voice, in the hopes of not disturbing her
“Yes…I am the most worshiped deity around and have profuse knowledge about writing. How may I be of help to you?” Vyasa strenuously sat down next to the elephant- headed deity and started telling her all about his novel – that he trusted no one with the highly skilled task.

...To Be Continued.... 




 Boy Climbing A Bean Stalk. Source: Wikimedia 

 Author's note: For this week's story, I decided to focus on the Mahabharata - Vyasa and Ganesha. In the original story, Vyasa did not trust anybody with helping him write the Mahabharata and so Brahma appeared to him and told him to go to Ganesha for help. He did so and Ganesha agreed to help him, on the condition that he does not stop writing. Kadha is a natural remedy used to cure sore throats, colds and the flu. According to an article I found, Kadha means "herbal tea". More information and the recipe for it can be found by clicking on the following link: Kadha.
I decided to give the characters different roles and flipped Ganesha's gender into a female version. After reading the story, it inspired me to use the background of Jack and the beanstalk. Vyasa took on the role of Jack and he had to climb the beanstalk in order to get to Ganesha. My story ended where Jack finally got to the top of the beanstalk, met Ganesha and told her the reason for being there. I left out the story of his birth, because I can use that section to write my next story. 

Bibliography:PDE Mahabharata: Vyasa and Ganesha
Jack And The Beanstalk story from Wikipedia 



10 comments:

  1. Hi Vera! I saw you added a story just now... I already made the groups for this week and the grace period is over, so here is the thing to do: change the label on this post to Week 6, and do the Week 6 Declaration Story post. That way I will know to include you in a group next week... plus it will be one less thing for you to worry about when you are working on the Week 6 assignments! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vera, I absolutely love how you combined both the story of Vyasa and Ganesha in the Mahabharata and the story of Jack in the beanstalk. I think that was a very creative approach and it made for a very enjoyable story. I hadn’t realized how similar the concepts were until I read your story. I think you did a great job giving personality to the characters and I look forward to reading the second part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vera! I really liked your take on a classic fairy tale, and the way that you conjoined it with the Mahabharata. It is interesting to see the relationship between these two stories because I would have not considered the similarities otherwise. I also am very appreciative of the gender-flip, I think it adds an interesting dynamic to a classic fable. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vera, I love this! Your writing is so beautiful done and the words and paragraph transition flow so well. I love the image you insert in this story to add to the visualization as well. I am curious if Vyasa's mother ever got cure of her illness? I like the gender-flip you made for Ganesha. I also like the description you give to each of the God Vyasa has encountered. Overall, I really enjoy reading this story and looking forward to what happen next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vera, I enjoyed that you thought to use Jack and the Beanstalk as the inspiration for the story to tell Vyasa's tale. The writing was very easy to read and grammar was good too! If you're planning on continue this with a sequel story, I can't wait to read the rest! I did notice that the formatting in the last two paragraphs were different from the beginning--kind of a like a different and smaller font I guess? If this was on purpose, please disregard what I said, but if you didn't mean to have it look like that, please take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vera, I really enjoyed this story of yours! I loved how you morphed our readings and related them to Jack in the Bean Stalk to create a new story. Also, I love "once upon a time" stories, so you caught my attention in the first sentence! I like the end how you leave with a cliffhanger, but al leave us with the 'To be continued...' to let us know there is more! Great job, I can't wait to see what stories you write next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Vera, I enjoyed getting to read your story. It is cool that you brought together two different stories from two different eras and lands to create one story. The mix of stories created a great thought and made it a great read. I thought that your story was great. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vera,
    Cliffhangers are a bugger and you did well at leaving me waiting for the end. I did see that there is a spelling error in the sentence about the stalk growing “rover” the mountain, I think you meant “over.” I am very surprised that Vyasa bought the beans instead of taking care of his mother and I believe this is why I want to know the end of the story so much. It seems very out of character for the Vyasa that we know of in the epic. I was a little confused of the placement of the first paragraph, is it an introduction to Vyasa? Since Ganesha helps him write the Mahabharata, the end of this story might be confusing to those who know the story. I like the story so far, and hope that you do finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vera,
    I enjoyed your story and the way you twisted it to be your own. The way you used Jack and the Beanstalk and correlated that story with your characters was riveting. I also enjoyed how you told the story in a way that resembled writing in a diary. It allows your readers to feel like they are right within the thought process of how the story is unravelling. I do have some suggestions that could make your story even better. I think the overall story could be a lot more descriptive. You could help by providing more description so your readers can truly develop a connection with the characters. Also you should concentrate on the introduction more. I feel like the introduction can allow a strong beginning to how the rest of the story unfolds. You could talk about the scenery some more and about the characters and how they act. I think if you did that then the rest of your story would be more exemplified. Other than that you did do a very good job and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Vera! I really enjoyed reading your story. Your inclusion of the classic Jack In the Beanstalk story was definitely my favorite part. It was a unique twist to the original story. Your story was super easy to follow, and made me want to read more into your portfolio! There was enough dialogue, but I did wonder about imagery. What if you included a description of the setting? I think it would help your readers understand what you pictured when you were writing a bit more. Personally, I love vivid descriptions when I am reading, so it might be a good element to add to your story. Other than that, I loved this story. Something else I really liked was how you switched genders, and the “to be continued” element left me wanting to read more. That was a unique part of your portfolio, and I look forward to more of that in the future.

    ReplyDelete