Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Reading Notes: Myths of Hindus and Buddhists, Ramayana Part A

Dasharatha & the Horse Sacrifice


I was very intrigued by this story and it reminded me of so many animal sacrifices that is depicted in the Bible. The story is kind of sad, because Dasharatha had no sons to carry on his dynasty but it turned out to be a happy ending. I also like this story because it immediately leads into Vishnu Is Born As Rama and His Brothers. I wrote about their battle in the previous weeks, so I thought it was interesting to see how different authors present their point of view. I like how he uses the analogy of “like lotus-flowers in early spring” to describe his wives. It sounds so pretty.

*I can change this story in such a way that Dasharatha will be exiled if he did not have any sons or maybe he would have to marry an evil queen who would be able to give him a son and how this turns out really bad for the people of Ayodhya.

*Possibly combining elements of sin as a reason for the wives not being able to get pregnant can also be an option.

*The only way the king would be saved is by releasing his favorite, strongest stallion. The stallion would return and the king is saved. The figure that appeared in the flame reminds me once again of elements in the Bible. God revealing himself to Moses in Exodus 3, for example.

*I wonder what the significance of the horse (a stallion) is to the Hindu religion. Fertility? Life?

(Figure Appearing In a Burning Flame. Source: Wikipedia Commons)


 Bibliography: Reading Link to Myths of Hindus and Buddhists: Ramayana By Sister Nivedita

No comments:

Post a Comment