Saturday, February 4, 2017

Week 3 Review: Setsubun

An important note; I need to email Laura and let her know that she please needs to manually sign my declaration for week 3 (Monday reading).

I do not always get time to read through the class announcements for each week - I only look to see if something important regarding work due is posted. Going through the past seven week's announcements was very fun. I found quite a few interesting topics that grabbed my attention, but I specifically like the February 3rd  post; "Setsubun"

Setsubun is a religious festival / holiday among the Shinto (Japanese) religion. I found a very cool video on vimeo about it. I would love to be able to experience this for myself and be a part of this rich, fun culture.

A few interesting facts that I found about the festival:
*Children and adults shout: Oni wa soto! Fuku wa uch! Which menas Oni out! Happiness in!

* "Oni! refers to ugly, mean "ogre-like" creatures who brings bad luck.

* The beans are sold in chip bags, known as "happiness beans" and are thrown to chase away any bad spirits.


(Masked man celebrating Setsubun. Source: Vimeo

2 comments:

  1. No need for email, Vera! :-)
    I keep an eye on the blog posts, esp. when an image catches my eye (such a cool image!) ... I'll record the reading thing in Canvas, no problem.
    Happy weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Laura. It is much appreciated!
    :)

    ReplyDelete